Sometimes it’s good to wait until the last minute…
Kevin and I went to see Ironman 3 this weekend and by the time we chose a showing we had about an hour to cook and eat before the movie so I needed to put together a quick dinner. This recipe is one that had been in the back of my mind for some time and I finally got a chance to try it out! It was delicious AND we almost made it to the movie on time (we just missed the previews).
With less than two weeks until my due date, we don’t have many date nights left, so it was nice to get out of the house and spend some time together. I doubt I’ll be visiting the movie theatre again before the baby gets here, though – I was shifting around in my seat the entire time! They should have special recliners for expectant mothers because I could not get comfortable in that seat. Oh well, the movie was great and so was my company so I can’t complain too much.
Cook up a healthy twist on pizza!
These peppers are super-easy to put together and have a lot of the same toppings as a traditional pizza would, but they are a leeetle healthier than calling the delivery guy. Sausage, tomato sauce, mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic and fresh herbs from the garden – sounds like a supreme pizza to me!I love me some pizza, but you can’t eat pizza every day. Well, I guess you could, but even I would get tired of that. Somewhat unrelated, but whenever I have leftover pizza, I can never decide if I want to eat it hot or cold so I eat one piece hot and one piece cold. Cold leftover pizza may possibly be better than fresh pizza. I’m not sure. What do you think?
More questions for you – Does anyone know how you are actually supposed to eat stuffed peppers? Do you eat the filling with a fork and then eat the pepper or do you just cut it up into pieces and make a big ol’ mess? I am of the make a big mess camp…what about you?
Pizza Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 4 bell peppers, tops cut off and seeds removed (reserve and dice tops to be used in filling)
- 4 button mushrooms, diced
- 10 black olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, oregano and rosemary (or 1/2 tsp of each, dried)
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400 F. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add onions to pan and cook until translucent, stirring often (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute, while continuing to stir.
- Add Italian sausage, peppers and mushrooms to pan, cook until meat is completely browned, about 10 minutes.
- Drain meat mixture and add to a large bowl along with olives, tomato sauce, tomato paste, crushed red peppers, herbs, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Scoop the filling evenly into each of the four bell peppers. Place peppers standing up into a small glass baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until peppers are tender and filling is heated through.
This post is linked to Party Wave Wednesday at HolisticSquid.com!