We have been having some crazy weather around here. It is bright and sunny with temperatures in the 70's in Louisville today and I just want to be outside! Life seems to be getting in the way of those plans, though, between laundry, packing (we recently bought a house and only have two weeks until the big move) and general Sunday laziness I haven't been able to soak in as much of this beautiful day as I would like. We are planning to take the dogs out for a walk later this afternoon so I do have that to look forward to.
I did make it to the gym for yoga and the spring-like weather on the walk back home was giving me some big time cravings for a fresh, green, fruity salad. My spring and summer salads are much lighter and brighter than my fall and winter salads. Lots of fruits and fresh veggies replace roasted veggies and baked apples.
Such was the inspiration for this yummy salad that I threw together after my workout. I love strawberries in salad so I started with that. I wanted to add onions, but to keep it light I used green onions. I mixed in some pistachios and crumbled bacon and topped it all off with sliced avocado. I love the creaminess of the avocado mixed with the sweetness of the strawberries and the saltiness of the bacon. Tons of flavors going on, but they all work wonderfully together.
In the recipe, I mention that you can use olive oil and balsamic vinegar or your favorite salad dressing on this salad. I have been working on some homemade dressings and I hope to post those recipes soon.
I hope you enjoy it and that you are having this same beautiful weather in your corner of the world!
Sunny California Salad with Strawberries and Avocado
- 4 slices of bacon
- 8 cups mixed lettuce greens
- 12 strawberries, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1 avocado, sliced
- drizzle of olive oil and vinegar or your favorite salad dressing
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Once hot, place the bacon slices on the skillet. Cook until crispy, turning often. About 8-10 minutes. Remove bacon from the skillet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add mixed greens, strawberries, green onions and pistachios.
- Once bacon has cooled, crumble and sprinkle over salad.
- Divide salad evenly between four bowls and top each salad with sliced avocado.
- Drizzle desired amount of olive oil and vinegar or your favorite salad dressing over salad.